Trump says will sue BBC for up to $5 billion over video edit of 2021 US Capitol speech

0
5KB

President Donald Trump says he will sue the BBC for up to $5 billion after the British broadcaster apologized for a misleading edit of one of his speeches but said it would not pay damages.

 

We’ll sue them for anywhere between a billion and five billion dollars, probably some time next week. I think I have to do it. They’ve even admitted that they cheated,” Trump tells reporters aboard Air Force One.

Trump’s lawyers sent the BBC a letter Monday accusing it of defaming the president with the video of the speech before the 2021 US Capitol riot and giving it until Friday to apologize and pay compensation.

The people of the UK are very angry about what happened, as you can imagine, because it shows the BBC is fake news,” Trump says.

He adds that he plans to raise the BBC issue with British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, who has backed the broadcaster’s independence while avoiding taking sides against Trump.

I’m going to call him over the weekend. He actually put a call into me. He’s very embarrassed,” Trump says.

 

 

On Monday, the BBC apologized for giving the impression in a documentary aired last year that Trump had directly urged “violent action” just before the assault on the US Capitol by his supporters on January 6, 2021.

The firestorm over the video edit has led the BBC director-general and the organization’s top news executive to resign.

The BBC said Thursday that its chairman Samir Shah had sent “a personal letter to the White House making clear to President Trump that he and the corporation are sorry for the edit of the president’s speech.”

However, it added: “While the BBC sincerely regrets the manner in which the video clip was edited, we strongly disagree there is a basis for a defamation claim.”

 

 

***

 

 

Like
1
Rechercher
CryptoCurrency Rates
Catégories
Lire la suite
Real Time Facts
The nuclear noose at the heart of France’s dispute with Niger
Nigerien presidential chief of staff Gen. Amadou Ibro has called on his countrymen to prepare for...
Par NavyVetUnited 2026-02-13 19:32:51 0 3KB
Cloak & Dagger
Yemen peace plan at risk over Houthi attacks in shipping channels, says U.S.
Diplomats say the group’s threats to merchant vessels it claims are linked to Israel...
Par NavyVetUnited 2023-12-13 15:00:39 0 20KB
Real Time Facts
Closing the Strait of Hormuz by Iran will be a huge threat, says Kallas
The closure of the Strait of Hormuz by Iran will be a huge threat, so the EU foreign ministers...
Par Israel Swords of Iron Ops 2025-06-23 09:54:55 0 7KB
Economy - Finance
JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America, Wells Fargo and Citigroup Risk Losing $24,400,000,000 As Number of Troubled Loans Erupt
Optimism in the U.S. banking industry is being threatened by a growing pile of bad loans, putting...
Par NavyVetUnited 2024-01-16 19:51:43 0 12KB
Real Time Facts
The Financial Times relies on Hamas-linked journalist to demonize Israel
“Palestinian journalists in Gaza ‘Being starved’, media watchdog says” is...
Par Israel Swords of Iron Ops 2025-09-08 15:04:07 0 3KB
X-Pulse, the HO1 Think Tank https://thinktank.x-pulse.org/